Normal day on Passage as Mum of 4 Kids

Published by


2012_03_05_south-atlantic_normal-day-as-mum.jpg25th of March – just a normal day on the expedition….
Deusche Version unten. – From Sabine, kindly translatet by Hanna Law. Published in Rio, where we are at the moment:
I once wrote something about how we spend our days, not because I think that it is important, but because many people ask me again and again what we as do all day?So here is an account of our fifth day at sea on our journey from St. Helena to Rio, Brazil on 25 March 2012.
2012-04_rio (1).JPG
This crossing started nicely, although the departure from Saint Helena was difficult. It is always a race until one finally weighs anchor. Like when you prove a pizza everything has a sequence; but at the end, before putting it into the oven, everything must be on it! I am thinking of a thousand things that I must do: pass on the clothes that are now too small, return the prams to the Salvation Army, but I must clean them first! Whatever happens, everything has to be washed by hand. I must also buy bread, pick up a bunch of bananas(if there is still enough money), buy a good butter that has been brought over on the ferry,take chocolate to, and pay, the swimming pool team, secure Dario while he is up the mast, write birthday greeting thank you emails, and so on. Unfortunately, I found no respite to send the emails, and have just pushed this mail out. I’m very sorry! If you get this mail, you will know we arrived in Rio, Brazil!We did it!
2012-04_rio (3).JPGPachamama school
Yes, I’m not doing badly, and I enjoy the voyagefully: being with the children, looking at the stars, and Itake great delight in the beautiful bedtime stories by Dario (for the children) he tells of the Moon pirates and I can’t wait until tomorrow night when the story continues! Even though I have always felt that I have plenty of time, the days go by without knowing whether it is Monday or Tuesday.
At 6:15 am Alegra is wide awake and probably the happiest!’BL BL BL’means: ‘I am on a mission!’, and so she begins to nibble her way through the books. Sometimesshe starts to blow ‘farts’ on my stomach with her mouth and laughs. So I get up and welcome Dario, who has had a watch of six to eight hours. At 7:00 am, I make myself a coffee and Dario an Ovi, and try to find out what good thoughts he has had, although usually he is too tired to chat (we have decided that I should not do night watch because I still need to keep Alegra quiet during the night, and I fully understand this). Dario and Jacqui share the night watch, twowatches each of three hours!
Noé calls from the cabin: “Sachoggimilch… disä duet!” (bisä güt), so I make myself a belated breakfast. Bread and ‘real milk’ is out, so there’s muesli.
At 8.00am, it’s time to start my watch, and the whole gang of kids come along on deck with me, and we eat breakfast. The milk is in the bottle, because the waves are quite high! Then I read them a story and later we continue with gymnastics, singing, or flute lessons. Alegra has a harness on, and is turning laps in the cockpit, and she can climb quite well on the deck!
At 10 am, Jacqui takes over the watch. She gives English lessons to Salina and Andri. Jacqui has the patience of an angel, and has such a happy disposition.
I wash my hair with lice shampoo. I am the only one who finds lice, but of course not on me! After that I try to breastfeed Alegra and to sleep with her, perhaps for half an hour, or to read. Alegra sleeps… and soon Noé comes along: ‘Dichtli verzele disä duet!’ (‘tell me a good story’). He has brought along a Christmas song book, and so we sing!
2012-04_rio (4).JPGwashing
I think about what we might eat. One thing is certain: Cabbage! But with what? Cabbage with carrots, pepperoni, or perhaps corn? Salad has become a dream! Fortunately, the whole crew is very grateful and perhaps because our childrenenjoy lettuce so much, they are happy to eat the cabbage so often. Noé is my hero, he calls,even before he has tasted the food, ‘duet dochet mami!’ (‘cooked good mama’). Today, the children must eat on the floor because the waves are still very large. I set the desalination plant to run for an hour. This provides us with 6 litres of drinking water.
2012-04_rio (5).JPGJacqui’s late night storries
Dario has come back to take the watch between 12-14:00 hours and does mathematics with Salina and Andri. I do a diaper tour and separate the cotton wool from the plastic…there are certainly much nicer tasks to undertake! Then, I delouse Salina.
From 14-16:00 hours, I take the watch, and I wear a cloak because I become Sana from Mars and teach the children German. From time to time, we take water across the deck! We have made a deal that Sanacan travel with us, as long as she spoils us each with the special treat from Mars (Mars bar).
For Salina, it is quite difficult to write neatly with these high waves, however, she writes wonderful stories. Andri writes beautiful letters, and has become a professional at tying knots. Noé, of course,must also be included in the writing exercise!
Meanwhile, Alegra is in the children’s room and has found Salinas handbag and has stowed everything in her mouth! Jacqui replaces me on watch, and the Martian Miss makes herself small and goes to sleep in the box for 22 hours.
The children play, and I’m considering what I should cook for lunch. As soon as I start something Noé comes along to help me with the vegetables.Today there’s lentil stew and potatoes in a curry sauce.
Dario obtains the weather report and studies it thoroughly. He is looking for the best route, and then monitors the rigging and sails.
At 17:30, we eat so that we can wash the dishes while there is still daylight. We have little power, since the sailsshade the solar panels as we sail to the West. After dinner I delouse Jacqui. In recent weeks I have been thinking about my skills… now I am aware that I am, at the very least, a professional louse finder and killer! 🙂 hi-hi-hi.
From 18.00-21:00, Dario has the watch. He helps the children clean their teeth, and all rejoice that they are still allowed to accompany Dario on deck to assist him with the watch. Now, finally, we get to hear the long-awaited Moon Pirate story!
I put Alegra to bed and then we reef the sails(ie reduce the span of the sails). As mentioned before, I don’t have to take an overnight watch, and I appreciate this very much.
If I like, I can still read something or, if I’m very tired, justfall asleep – that is, until I get foot in the face and I must reposition myself, because a huge wave has thrown us around. I try to relax, but I cramp up trying not to roll left or right over the children! This night is certainly not the most restful. At 04.00 hours I am awake, because I have become aware that the ship is gliding faster through the water, it roars,and the wind whistles. Soon Jacqui calls because the autopilot has gone off, so I put on a life-vest and I hurry to the wheel. Astorm cloud has changed the wind direction! We take down the Genoa (headsail), which is not an easy task in 30kn winds. Dario goes forward. It is pitch black. The Genoa has not rolled up well, so we unroll and reroll it… now I start to shiver as I am steering only in underwear and T-shirt and have become wet from the waves. Finally, everything is under control – one and a half hours later! Thank God nothing bad happened; and soon Alegra’s cries will wake me again. –
Since the start of the expedition in 2002 we have sailed 48,000 nautical miles and four children have been born on the voyage. Since reaching South America, Salina, now six, and Andri, five, are the youngest sailors to circumnavigate the world; our youngest sailor, Alegra, was born in Singapore and in the first 10 months of her life has already travelled 10,000 miles! At the grand age of six months, Noéwas already at Mt Everest base camp.
The TOPtoTOP expedition ship Pachamama uses wind and solar power to sail around the world. We still have two ‘TOPs’ to achieve: Denali in Alaska and Mount Vinson in Antarctica. After the Earth Summit in Rio, we will travel North through the NW Passage to Alaska…and then around both of the Americas via Cape Horn and on to Antarctica, and then, finally, home.

Ein normaler Tag auf dem Atlantik als Mutter von 4 Kindern

Ich habe mal etwas geschrieben, wie sich einer meiner Tage abspielt, nicht weil ich denke, dass es wichtig ist, aber weil viele mich immer wieder fragen, was wir denn den ganzen Tag machen? Hier der 5. Tag auf See (Von St. Helena-Rio Brasilien= Total 20 Tage), 25. März.12.
Diese Überfahrt hat schön angefangen, obwohl der Abschied von St. Helena schwer war. Es ist immer ein Wettrennen bis man dann endlich den Anker lichtet. Wie wenn man eine Pizza belegen muss. Alles hat eine Reihenfolge, aber am Schluss bevor man sie in den Ofen schiebt ,muss alles drauf sein! Ich denke an tausend Dinge, die ich erledigen muss: zu kleine Kleider weiterschenken, Kinderwagen an Heilsarmee zurückbringen aber zuerst noch waschen! Sowieso alles noch von Hand waschen, Brot kaufen, Bananenstaude abholen, wenn das Geld noch reicht eine gute Butter kaufen, die mit der Fähre gekommen ist, Swimmingpool-Team Schokolade vorbeibringen und bezahlen, Dario auf den Mast sichern, Geburtstagsdankesemail schreiben und so weiter. Leider fand ich keine Ruhe um die Mails zu versenden und habe dies rausgeschoben. Dies tut mir leid! Wenn Du dieses Mail bekommst weisst du dass wir in Rio, Brasilien angekommen sind! Geschafft!
Ja, mir ist nicht schlecht und so geniesse ich es richtig, mit den Kinder zu sein, die Sternen zu betrachten und ich freue mich wieder auf die Schönen Gute-Nacht-Geschichten von Dario(für die Kinder), er erzählt von den Mondpiraten und ich kann nicht warten bis es morgen jeweils weitergeht! Obwohl ich immer das Gefühl habe, dass ich dann sehr viel Zeit hätte, vergehen die Tage ohne zu wissen ob es Montag oder Dienstag ist.
Um 6.15 ist Alegra hellwach und wohl die Glücklichste! BL BL BL meint: ” i am on a mission!” Und so beginnt sie die Bücher durchzuknabbern! Irgendwann beginnt sie auf meinen Bauch zu „furzen”(mit dem Mund)und lacht. So stehe ich auf und begrüsse Dario, der von 6-8 Uhr Wache hat. Um 7 Uhr mache ich mir einen Kaffee und Dario eine Ovi und versuche rauszukriegen, was für gute Gedanken er hatte, meistens ist er jedoch zu müde um zu plaudern(begreif ich absolut ich muss ja keine Nachtwache machen, da ich Alegra immer noch stille! Dario und Jacqui teilen sich die Nachtwache, 2mal 3h!)
Noé ruft aus der Kabine: „Sachoggimilch… disä duet!” (bisä guet)So mache ich mich hinters Morgenessen. Brot und „richtige Milch” ist aus, so gibt’s Müesli.
Um 8.00 beginnt meine Wache und mit mir kommt die ganze Kinderbande an Deck und wir essen Zmorge. Die Milch gibt’s nur noch im Schoppe, da die Wellen recht hoch sind! Danach lese ich ihnen eine Geschichte vor. Weiter geht’s mit Turnen, Singen oder Flötenstunde. Alegra hat ein Gestältli und dreht Runden im Cockpit, obwohl sie schon aufs Deck klettern kann!
Um 10 Uhr übernimmt Jacqui die Wache. Sie gibt Salina und Andri Englischunterricht. Sie hat Engelsgeduld und eine Riesenfreude.
Ich wasche mir die Haare mit Läuseshampoo! Ich bin die einzige die Läuse findet, aber natürlich nicht bei mir!!!Danach versuche ich Alegra zu stillen und mit ihr vielleicht eine halbe Stunde zu schlafen oder etwas zu lesen? Sie schläft….und schon kommt Noé „ Dichtli verzele disä duet!” Er hat ein Weihnachtsliederbuch dabei und so singen wir!
Ich überlege mir, was wir essen. Eines ist sicher: Kohl! Aber was dazu? Kohl mit Karotten, Peperoni oder einmal Mais? Salat ist ein Traum geworden! Zum Glück ist die ganze Crew sehr dankbar und vielleicht essen unsere Kinder dank dem Kohl so gerne Kopfsalat? Noé ist mein Held, er ruft schon, bevor er überhaupt probiert hat:”duet dochet mami!” Die Kinder müssen heute am Boden essen, da die Wellen immer noch gross sind! Ich stelle noch den Wassermacher ein für eine Stunde. Dies ergibt 6 Liter Trinkwasser.
Dario hat wieder Wache von 12-14.00 und rechnet mit Salina und Andri. Ich mache eine Windeltour und separiere die volle Watte von dem Plastik….es gibt schöneres! Dann entlause ich Salina.
Um 14-16.00 habe ich Wache und verkleide mich, ich bin nämlich die SANA vom Mars und lerne den Kindern Deutsch! Zur Zeit nehmen wir das Wasser durch! Wir haben mit SANA den Deal, dass sie mit uns reisen kann, wenn sie uns jeweils etwas mit Marsspezialität verwöhnt (Mars-Riegel). Für Salina ist es recht schwierig schön zu schreiben mit diesen hohen Wellen, dafür schreibt sie wunderschöne Geschichten. Andri schreibt schöne Buchstaben und ist zum Knotenprofi geworden. Noé muss natürlich auch mitschreiben!
Alegra ist im Kinderzimmer und hat Salinas Handtasche gefunden und alles im Mund verstaut! Jacqui löst mich ab und das Marsfräulein macht sich klein und geht in den Kasten um 22 Stunden zu schlafen! Die Kinder spielen, und ich überlege mir was ich zum Mittag kochen soll. Sobald ich auch nur etwas beginne, kommt Noé und hilft mir beim Gemüse rüsten. Heute gibt’s Linseneintopf und Kartoffeln an einer Currysauce.
Dario lädt das Wetter runter und studiert es gründlich. Er sucht die beste Route und kontrolliert danach die Wanten und Segel.
Um 17.30 essen wir, damit wir den Abwasch noch bei Tageslicht machen können. Wir haben wenig Strom, da die Segel die Solarpanels abdecken, da wir gegen Westen segeln. Nach dem essen entlause ich noch Jacqui. Ich habe mir in den letzten Wochen Gedanken gemacht über meine Fähigkeiten…….spätestens jetzt wird mir bewusst ,dass ich zumindest ein Läusefinder- und Killer-Profi bin! 🙂 hihihi
Um 18.00-21.00 hat Dario Wache. Er putzt mit den Kinder die Zähne und alle freuen sich, dass sie mit ihm im Dunkeln noch Wache machen dürfen. Jetzt kommt die langersehnte Mondpiratengeschichte!
Ich bringe Alegra ins Bett und danach reffen wir, d.h. verkleinern die Segel. Wie bereits erwähnt, muss ich keine Wache machen; – dies schätze ich sehr.
Ich kann noch etwas lesen oder schlafe einfach müde ein, bis ich ein Fuss im Gesicht habe und ich mich anders platzieren muss, da uns eine Welle über den Haufen geworfen hat. Ich versuche entspannt dazuliegen während ich verkrampft versuche nicht links oder rechts auf die Kinder zu rollen! So wird diese Nacht sicher nicht die erholsamste! Um 04.00 Uhr werde ich wach, da das Schiff schneller durchs Wasser gleitet, es rauscht und der Wind pfeift. Da ruft auch schon Jacqui. Ich ziehe die Schwimmweste an, während der Autopilot aussteigt. Ich haste ans Steuer. Eine Gewitterwolke, die die Windrichtung änderte! Wir nehmen die Genua (Vorsegel) rein, was nicht einfach ist bei 30kn Wind. Dario geht nach vorne . Es ist stockdunkel. Die Genua hat sich nicht schön aufgerollt, d.h. noch einmal raus und rein….mittlerweile zittere ich, da ich ja nur in den Unterhosen und T-shirt steure und von den Wellen nass werde. Endlich ist alles unter Kontrolle…..1 ½ Stunden später! Gott sei Dank ist nichts passiert………und schon bald wird mich Alegras Strahlen wieder wecken.
Seit dem Start der Expedition im 2002 wurden 48’000 Seemeilen zurückgelegt und 4 Kinder geboren. Salina 6 und Andri 5 sind nun nach Erreichen von Südamerika die jüngsten Weltumsegler! Alegra, geboren in Singapore, hat in ihren ersten 10 Monaten bereits 10’000 Seemeilen auf dem Buckel und Noé war mit 6 Monaten bereits im Everest Base Camp. Das TOPtoTOP Expeditionsschiff „Pachamama” segelte mit Wind-und Sonnenkraft um die Welt. Jetzt fehlen von den 7 TOPs noch 2: Denali in Alaska und Mount Vinson in Antarktika. Nach dem Welterdgipfel in Rio geht es nach Norden durch die NW Passage nach Alaska…und so um die beiden Amerikas über Cape Horn in die Antarktis dann endlich nach Hause”.

ACT Alaska Andri Arctic Ocean Australia California Canada Chile CYCLING Europe EXPLORE Hawaii INSPIRE Mexico North America North Pacific NW PASSAGE SAILING Salina seven seas & seven summits South Pacific Switzerland TOPtoTOP USA Voyage